09 August 2006

days of summer

Well this is just no good! I keep forgetting to take the camera out and about and now I don't feel like blogging is quite as fun. Must remember camera :)

How is it that time passes so quickly. Since the last time I posted we had a spontaneous visit from Dad Deyell. He popped in for a couple nights to visit and we roamed around
Taste of SK sampling scrumptious food. Thanks Dad, it sure was fun to have you! Our friend Trevor's plane was grounded for a few hours overnight and he stopped here. So we had a full house. Too much fun.

The last week of July was filled with farewell parties, teas with friends, bbq's, and ballet girls trip to the lake. Again - forgot the camera :(

It just amazes me how there is such a range of experiences within a group of people and how sometimes you just feel like a spectator (thankfully). That week just peeled away another layer. Friends leaving, saying farewell and starting a whole new adventure. A father (not mine) instantly sick and on the edge of life and death within days. A friend getting engaged and another friend splitting apart. A friend loving pregnancy and another friend anxiously trying. New mothers, nervous and calm. People anxiously starting new jobs and others ready for holidays. Friends learning about ill family and friends excited about family trips. New euphoric love and hand in hand older couples. Just amazing what daily goes on in others lives and it sure keeps life in perspective.

The first week of August...more calm and more quiet. Ahhhh.

And this week. Well, I love long weekends. I took apart the house. How is it that we accumulate so much. We are blessed beyond measure with stuff. My storage closet has been full and our guest room/ office was getting too messy. So since we've been married a year it's easy to discover what we haven't used or what's not being used properly. With inspiration from a great book (two books actually), "Organizing Plain & Simple" and "Cleaning Plain & Simple" I've started purging and organizing. What a burden lifted when you're able to let go of clutter. Years of papers, clippings, museum maps, japanese napkins, and old nail polish - garbaged. It feels so good. And everything that we still have, gets a proper home. I still have a few days of purging left. The living room is covered and the guest room is still dishevelled but so far 5 garbage bags have left the house and I have two boxes of give away. YIPEE!! I should have taken before and after pictures (camera is in the house even - hah hah hah).

organizing cleaning


We managed to squeeze in a stroll around the Fringe festival on Sun., watching street performers, locals, craft sellers and of course supper from street food vendors. Mmmm...grease. Sorry no camera - no pictures.

On holiday Mon. Brad and I joined Eleanor, Warren and grandkids (Adam & Paris) at
Pike Lake. Not the most swimmable lake but a large body of water on a beautiful day with enough sand to make an awesome castle! And a very delicious picnic lunch. Fresh sandwiches, cream puffs, chocolate cake. We had such a fun time with their family. And of course, forgot the camera.

And last night was the start of the Saskatoon
EX! YEEE HAWWW! Actually, it's kind of getting same old, same old. But we had fun none the less. The crazy rides, the Vegas lights, the once again greasy over priced food, loud music, trade show with infomercials...Ahhh...too much fun. Brad and Adam (Eleanor's grandson) split off and headed to Theory of a Deadman at the grandstand show and us girls (Sarah, Eleanor, Paris and I) wandered and wandered around. Tonight is salad and fruit for sure after and another evening of hot dogs, fried treats and sweets. Phew. We had such a blast last night! And of course, no pictures. Ho hum.

5 comments:

shauna said...

The queen of picture taking is on a sunconcious strike...maybe it has to do with the purging mentality...what do we do with all those pics once we take them?? I have been just the oposite lately, taking many, many pictures trying to document every moment of this summer... Ben thinks I'm a little obsessed I'm sure..but he'll thank me one day, right? At least their digital and don't take up much space except on my hardrive. I can't believe you threw away the Japanese napkins..irreplacable and so usuful! :) Love ya! Let's talk soon!

shauna said...

I meant suBconScious...not sunconcious!?

pella said...

LOL - "sun"concious. Mmmm - been to the beach lately? Basking in the sun perhaps! :)

I know...I had a hard time throwing out some of that japanese paraphenalia...it was just TOO CUTE! But it had to be done.

I'll take more pictures I promise! soon, very soon! Tonight even!

Janet said...

Ahh, Pella, you make me miss Saskatoon and spending time with you. But oh yes, I'm coming TONIGHT! See you at Shakespeare! Woooohooo!

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts about all the happenings going on with your friends, Pella. I really enjoyed the post, and I know which one was me! :) I get that "introspective" way sometimes too. Let's definitely do drinks or a movie or coffee or something. I'll give you a shout soon.