16 February 2006

frivolous

Before I head to bed, a few thoughts from today. Today I have been married for 216 days (7 months).

This morning while getting ready for work I flicked on "martha" in hopes of getting a sneak peek at todays tool. Well I was quite disturbed at the thought that it could be her "guests" creation, The George Foreman Grill. I thought that would be the most ridiculous tool selection (not that the grill is bad, but it's definitely not essential). If you had only 20 essential tools would you really select the George Foreman? Much to my relief, I checked online and its actually a zester...ahh a zester. That choice I can live with HAH-HAH - the frivolities of life ;)

On the flip side, it still bothers me that big boxes like Future Shop make as much money as they do everyday of the week on nothing necessary. None of what they sell is really necessary or essential to daily life but people buy tens of thousands of dollars everyday of stuff from just there! Eicks!

This fall, I purchased a "make poverty history" bracelet from Ten Thousand Villages and I just can't wear it knowing that I like to buy things. Pretty things, consumable things, cashmere things...I just can't wear the bracelet. It sits tucked in my jewelry box (with pretty jewelry). Not quite sure how to reconcile the socialist & the capitalist in me.

This morning I linked to an unknown blog from an aquaintances blog. I felt very uncomfortable reading a strangers blog. I felt like an intruder or like a peeping tom but at the same time I couldn't resist the urge to click and read. Guilty pleasure?

I read the strangest thing in the National Post yesterday, strange? disturbing? About Google and the Chinese version of Google. And then today, I read something very similar about Yahoo (could only find the whole article at this link)! Makes me frustrated.

Tonight Sarah & I ate some delicious gelato - on one of the coldest nights this winter (feels like -35 tonight) we ate gelato? It was good but I had a longing for the best gelato ever (that I've tasted) and it's in Vancouver - La Casa Gelato - tasty and great flavours like pear, pomello, spicy chocolate....mmmmmm. Brad and I had a chance to sample their offerings on our honeymoon when my aunt and uncle took us out there.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I understand how difficult it is to reconcile the capatalist and the socialist sides of us. I'd like to think I'm not frivolous, but as I sit and play with my stamps and scrapbooking stuff this morning and think of the $ spent on it all, I know I am frivolous. Anyhow, I love reading your blog and your interesting thoughts. What a fun world this blogging is!

shauna said...

pella dear...it's so good to read what you write and hear you through your writing...blogging is the PERFECT outlet for you...it's a venue for rambling...something we are both great at...could anything be better?

Madame Angela Baggett said...

thanks for linking janet! I'd heard she was starting and have been anxious to know about their new arrival. Now I can be on the front lines with all the other blog readers! ha.