26 February 2006

snoring . . . edmonton

Brad and I spent Friday and Saturday in Edmonton with my parents and had a great time but very little sleep. There was confusion over the rooms and Brad and I ended up sharing the room with my parents and slept on the hid-a-bed and well...we didn't get much sleep. Hee hee hee.

A great restaurant in Edmonton - the Hardware Grill - very delicious. We spent a couple hours enjoying good food and good conversation. What a treat and then it was off to shopping and browsing.

Do you ever notice the smell of your own house. When you've gone away for a couple days and you walk back into your place and there is a smell, "your smell". I like that. There is something comforting about the first sniff of your own place.

We noticed something very odd when we were in Edmonton. The theme stores. Not that their content was like a theme but that they were specifically targeted for an audience. Nothing new of course just a slight shift in design. Abercrombie&Fitch and Hollister Co. Both of these stores employed "theme" decorating. Had very LOUD music, with bass and a strong "brand" scent was in the air. It was surreal...like you had walked into a cabana in Florida or something. Ahhh - marketing. I think there is a very fine line between marketing and propoganda.

I have been trying to finish a book, Hitching Rides with Buddha, and as we were driving I ended up reading out loud, like a talking book. I discovered that although I may know a word by reading once I say it out loud I'm lost on the pronounciation. Words like victual, ebullient and conspiratorial. It's funny because you may read these words and know the meaning but you would rarely use them in conversation and because of that, you really don't know how to pronounce them. Oh how limited our everyday vocabulary is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course I need to comment on this one... let me just say that some men who shall remain nameless sawed a lot of logs in our Coast Terrace Hotel Room.

Anonymous said...

pella can you remove my last name from your post. mom